R58-6 Barkley East to Elliot upgrade
CLIENT: SANRAL Southern Region
LOCATION: Barkly East, Eastern Cape
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering and Project Management Services (EPCM)
Scope of Services Provided:
- Pavement Investigation and assessment of remaining life;
- Engineering design of rehabilitation measures;
- Cost estimating;
- Contract administration; and
- Construction monitoring.
This section of national route R58 section 6 is approximately 62km long extending southwards from the town of Barkly East to the town of Elliot in the northern part of the Eastern Cape.
The Barkly Pass, approximately 10km long, was included in the project length.
Bosch Projects was responsible for designing the repairs and double seal resurfacing of the roadway.
Major elements of the contract were:
- Drainage improvements, including clearing, deepening, and re-grading of side drains;
- Surface and base patching and edge break repairs;
- Resurface 382 000m2 of roadway with a 14mm/7mm double seal;
- Resurface the Barkly Pass with a 20mm Cape seal (108 000 m2);
- Gabion walls to catch debris in the Barkly Pass; and
- Replace guardrails, line marking and roadstuds.
Project Value: R135 million.