Repair and resurfacing of the R67 Section 2
CLIENT: SANRAL Southern Region
LOCATION: Makhanda (previously Grahamstown), Eastern Cape
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering and Project Management Services (EPCM)
Scope of Services Provided:
- Pavement Investigation and assessment of remaining life.
- Engineering Design of rehabilitation and upgrade measures.
- Cost Estimating and Procurement.
- Contract Administration.
- Construction Monitoring.
Project Description:The 70km length of National Route R67 Section 2 in this project extends northwards from the N2/R67 intersection outside Grahamstown (km 0) to the R67/R63 intersection outside Fort Beaufort (km 70.7). The narrow single carriageway road required pavement rehabilitation and widening to improve safety, along with drainage improvements.
Features:Major elements of the contract were:
- Drainage upgrades, including new subsoil drains, cleaning, shaping and trimming of existing earth drains, and construction of concrete lined drains.
- Pavement repairs, including edge break repairs, repairs of distressed areas by milling and replacement with new asphalt, and base patching with emulsion treated G2.
- Base repairs to longer lengths with widespread distress by means of insitu recycling and construction of an emulsion treated base (ETB).
- Safety improvements to existing intersections along the route.
- Construction of a bitumen treated base (BTB) through the Ecca Pass.
- Widening of the existing roadway from 6.6m to 8m by means of recycling the existing shoulders, with additional G2 material and bitumen emulsion to provide an emulsion treated base (ETB).
- Resurfacing of 550 000 m2 of carriageway with a 14/7 mm double seal.
- Resurfacing of 90 000 m2 of carriageway with a 20/10 mm double seal.
- Replacement of bridge joints.
- Guardrails, line marking and roadstuds.
- Employment of 22 local subcontractors on various parts of the works.
Project Value: R218 million Completion Date: April 2019